Monday, January 31, 2011

IQ Tests and Entrepreneurship Considered

So, I ask are IQ tests over-rated when it comes to success in life. I think they might be, not in the US either. All right so, recently I was discussing all this with a University Student from India, and they asked a considerable number of questions such as:

We have some outstanding entrepreneurs in the US who had not even done HS, others who had seldom been to a day of college, and some who score above average on the IQ Tests, but go on to become multi-millionaires or billionaires. Did you know before the 1970s most of the billionaires hadn't done HS, that is right they were drop outs.

This entrepreneur they speaks of has surpassed  everyone in the business world in India, and is not educated, but they was obviously smart. My acquaintance notes; "There may be thousands of Ambani's in the world, but how do they find them?" Well, I'd say generate a free-market method, and you don't must go and find them, they will find us! And they will deliver us all the goods and services they desire at the cost they are willing to pay!

"What if a person is smart, but has seldom had the ability to discover it due to lack of opportunities?" Now then, they gives the example of an "Indian Entrepreneur, Dhirubhai Ambani, as a classic case of rags to riches."

This is why I think that the "eminent achiever" of creative genius is the best check. Success is an indicator of intelligence in my humble opinion, and whether the successful folks would score high on an IQ check is perhaps irrelevant. I'd say they'd score well, but perhaps not at the upper academic echelon. It is my view that the most important type of intelligence can be measured in this way:

How well can someone modify and succeed ahead of everyone else in a brand new endeavor, after being thrust in to a brand new surrounding? I am liking Dean Simonton's work on this topic at the University of New york - perhaps you might look all that up, as it helps illustrate my points here.

When it comes to IQ Tests and Entrepreneurship, all bets are off!

All right, now as usual, I am liking to make a solid statement in my articles, in this case it is an opinion of all my years of observation, experience, knowledge, and reasoning;

Because it is the "will" and "perseverance" that matters most, and yes, intelligence helps, but it is truly secondary. Strength of Character, Ego, Confidence, Will, and Perseverance are the giant equalizers as well as a lovely tiny bit of intelligence definitely doesn't hurt, but it is not the deciding factor on success in the entrepreneurial venue. make a note of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment