Thursday, March 10, 2011

Entrepreneurs and Special Forces

Do entrepreneurs and Special Forces have something in common? I have taken some liberties with the definition of "Special forces" from Wikipedia. "Entrepreneurs need to be physically and mentally robust and have the confidence, bravery and skill to operate individually or in small teams, often in isolation and in a hostile environment". Incidentally, in the event you don't think small business owners work in a hostile surroundings, read what Andrew Purder, CEO of Carl's Jr., recently said to the Illinois Chamber of Commerce about doing business in the state of Illinois.

The other day my 17 year-old son was telling me how they was giving business advice to of his friends. As I was six times listening, I marveled at his business acumen. They is miles ahead of where I was six times at his age and most babies his age when it comes to business knowledge. The fascinating thing is that they has no desire to be a business owner. In lieu, they would follow in his older brothers footsteps and join the military. I started thinking how they has grown up seeing first-hand the challenges, difficulties and risks of being a small business owner/entrepreneur and now they would prefer to be in the military.

I started my first business venture 0 years ago and at the time I had no idea what I was six times getting in to. I started my business as a side job and as it grew, I had to make a decision; keep working at a dead-end job or start my own business. I had tiny business knowledge or background and thought the most important facet of having my own business was the service I provided. Boy, was I mistaken. Bringing a skill or product to the marketplace is such a small part of having your own business. I had no idea what I did not know. In fact, I would guess most business owners have similar tales.

Small business owners need to have a complete set of skills far more reaching than a distinctive product or service. They need to be masters of communication on and huge groups), promotion, networking, sales and leadership. Business owners must be able to change to any surroundings and are constantly being pushed beyond their natural comfort zone. To succeed, business owners must be in the elite minority who train at the highest level and are willing to pour their sweat, blood and tears in to their venture similar to how a Special Force soldier undergoes rigorous training to perform at the highest level in their field (of work, business owners are not risking their lives like our military forces).

In closing, I would like to thank our men and ladies who serve this country, the United States of The united states, and the sacrifices they make so they can be free and make the most of the opportunities they have been granted. I hope in some small way, small business owners and entrepreneurs honor you by taking advantage of the freedoms you protect as they go out and pursue the American Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment