Saturday, March 26, 2011

Successful Entrepreneurs and the Importance of Building a Team

I often encounter entrepreneurs who see themselves as soloists, single individuals boldly taking risks to generate new and imaginative products or solving issues in unique and unusual ways by themselves. Successful entrepreneurs know that in order to discover untapped markets, to create new solutions, and bring a product to market requires a team of individuals who can add their unique talent and skill to the mix.

Lots of entrepreneurs try to do it all, and this is a recipe for failure. No matter how gifted, expert, and gifted an entrepreneur is there's still things that are necessary for a successful business that others do better than they do.

I live with the Vega Role Facilities Theory day in and day out and have for over thirty years. You could say that I have become so familiar with the theory and the power of its ideas to transform people's lives that I wrongly assume that everybody else experiences what I do.

Still, it continues to surprise me when after I have delivered and interpreted stock results someone says "This is very fascinating, so what do I do with this information?" I could go on for pages, but let me focus my comments today on area - entrepreneurs and team building.

Let me give you some hypothetical examples: An entrepreneur has the idea for a product but not the skills to manufacture it. Without someone with production skills, worker or contractor, the idea is only that - an idea. An entrepreneur has a network of influential people, contacts, and marketing but not the organizational or operational skills to manage the day-to-day operations of a business. Without the right person to organize and manage the business plan, entrepreneur's schedule, and finances the finish results is likely to be chaos. Or possibly an entrepreneur has an amazing new idea but no strategy or designs to bring it to fruition. They need someone whose skill is providing advice, long-term strategy, and short-term tactics.

When an entrepreneur says to me, "I already know this about myself. So what?" The answer is "Have you used this knowledge to build your team?"

Without someone to fill these critical roles an entrepreneur's business may stumble along, but it won't take off the way the entrepreneur envisions. VRFT not only provides the information the entrepreneur needs to understand their own skills and abilities, but also the information necessary to know what skills and abilities are needed to compliment the entrepreneur, how to position current team members' talent to fill the gaps they are best suited for, and how to assess potential team members to select if the talent they bring fills the needs the team has. All this from a simple but powerful assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment