Monday, April 18, 2011

Alcohol Can Hurt Your Business

I was six times recently at an appointment with my relatives doctor. Last Christmas I had given him a bottle of wine &, at the time, they expressed honest thanks for it. This year, they explained that a drug representative had sent him a bottle of alcohol for Christmas & they was not impressed. They explained that in his mind a gift of alcohol is a personal gift & not that "strangers" ought to give to each other. To him, the rep was not close to be giving such a gift, This made me think about how each of us is distinctive & needs to think about the receiver before sending any gift.

Sometimes, even if our intentions are nice, people can be offended by whether alcohol is part of our business or personal lives. You see, they each have a set of values & perception of how things "should" be done.

There's some groups & religions who do not use alcohol & would not appreciate a gift of alcohol. I think of the Mormons who actually do not consume any drinks that would stimulate them - even soft drinks as they have caffeine. Those who have sworn off alcohol because of earlier addiction or alcohol abuse would also not be a nice candidate for a gift of alcohol.

But it is not giving alcohol that can hurt your business, you need to think about how consumption can be a minefield. Let's say that you set up a cocktail party for your clients. How lots of do you think might not attend because they do not require to participate? Some might attend but not partake. Still others might be slighted in case you do not offer choices for the non-drinkers. You might be better to have a social event & not include alcohol at all at the gathering.

Finally, let's think about how your use of alcohol can hurt the business. In case you are drinking in the coursework of business hours, you risk the chance that you won't be at your best, Your focus, speech & thinking might be compromised. & the smell might basically not only give you away but lead to a situation where your client loses respect for you. Even your alcohol use after work hours can negatively affect your reputation. People are watching to see the way you act & whether you like it or not, make judgments about you & your business based on what they see.

A long time ago, I made a call that if I am going to drive, I will limit myself to drinks - because I do not require to lose my driver's licence. If I am taking a taxi, I limit myself to drinks - because I do not require to lose my dignity! Yes, the choice is yours but I do caution you to think about that your values & choices might not be ones that would be welcomed or adopted by the clients who you require to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment